1.07.2009

Wonton Soup

Last night we had an "Asian inspired" dinner. I wanted to make a dish with soba noodles but I couldn't find them at the store. I could of made them my self but besides buckwheat and without a recipe at the store I wasn't sure what else I need to make them. So I decided to change the main course recipe to another noodle dish. I wanted something to go along with it, so I decided to make homemade won ton soup. It turned out really well and actually tasted like a won ton soup you would get at a Chinese restaurant. I adapted & modified this recipe from:


Steamykitchen.com



Ingredients:
1/2 pound of won ton wrappers
2 chicken breast(cooked and diced)
1 tablespoon of soy sauce
1 teaspoon of corn starch
1/4 teaspoon of sugar
1 teaspoon of rice vinegar
1/2 teaspoon of sesame oil

For Cornstarch mixture:
1 tablespoon cornstarch + 1/4 cup cool water

For broth:
2 quarts of chicken broth


Directions:

To Make Won ton:
1) In a large bowl, combine the chicken, soy sauce, rice vinegar, cornstarch, sugar and sesame oil. Mix well.
2) Put a two pieces of the diced chicken in each of the middle of a won ton wrapper, brush cornstarch mixture on all edges.
3) Fold over to form a triangle, press to secure edges, encasing the filling.
4) Brush cornstarch mixture on one tip of the triangle. Bring two corners together and press to secure.
5) Place on clean, dry plate in one layer and cover loosely with damp paper towel to prevent drying.
6) Repeat with remaining.


To Make Soup:
1) In a large stockpot, add all but 2 cups of the broth and bring to a boil. The 2 cups of reserved broth should be room temperature or just slightly chilled.
2) Turn the heat to medium-high and add the won tons. Bring pot back to a gentle boil.
3) When it reaches a boil, add 1 cup of the reserved broth.
4) Bring back to a boil and again, add the remaining 1 cup of reserved broth.
5) Let it simmer for about 5 minutes and then serve.

Enjoy!

No comments: